The Flu Shot

Flu Shot:

Should it be mandatory for healthcare workers to get the flu shot?

Influenza (the flu) is an easily spread virus that targets the nose, throat and sometimes the lungs. Symptoms range from mild to severe. The virus can cause complications and, in some cases, lead to death.

Common symptoms include:

·      Sore throat

·      Runny/ stuffy nose

·      Cough

·      Fever

·      Chills

·      Headaches

·      Lack of energy

·      Body aches

Many healthcare workers have direct contact with patients. Some states do not require staff to get flu shots, although they encourage it. But should it mandatory for employment?

Benefits of the flu shot:

·      Can stop you from getting the flu.

·      Can reduce flu-related hospitalizations

·      Protect pregnant women

·      Can protect the people around you, including babies, young children, older adults and people with a higher risk of getting ill.

You should NOT get the flu shot if:

·      You have egg allergies

·      You had an allergic reaction to the flu shot itself

·      You have Guillain-Barré Syndrome 

Why some people refuse the flu shot?

Some people question if the flu shot actually works, while some individuals are concerned about the side negative effects, which can sometimes be similar to the flu itself. Also, some people do not feel that they are at risk of getting the flu. Religion can also play a role in someone refusing the flu shot. While there are several reasons why people decide against getting the flu shot, should individuals that work in healthcare be required to get the flu shot?

Conclusion

Although the flu shot is not 100% effective, it is important for individuals, especially healthcare workers to get the flu shot, in order to protect their patients. This is true unless you have a medical or religious reason to waive getting the vaccination. Whether or not it should be required for employment should be left up to the hospital or facility. However, it is important to find the balance between employee rights and keeping the best interest of the patient in mind.

References

Implementing a mandatory flu shot policy: What every employer should know: As hospitals

push forward with mandatory flu shots, some employees are pushing back. (2017). Medical Staff Briefing, 27(11), 1–5. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=ccm&AN=126155780&site=ehost-live

Key Facts About Seasonal Flu Vaccine. (2019, October 21). Retrieved from 

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/keyfacts.htm.

Nelson, W. A., & Lahey, T. (2013). The ethics of mandatory flu shots. Balancing patient

protection with healthcare worker autonomy is essential. Healthcare Executive, 28(6), 42–46. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=ccm&AN=107922595&site=ehost-live

4 thoughts on “The Flu Shot”

1. Hi Courtney!
    This topic really sparked my attention! Mainly because I have always been hesitant about getting the Flu shot. I can relate to the people in your videos about the reason to not get vaccinated. I have always heard people say that by getting the Flu shot, you can actually get the Flu. A few years back, I worked in a nursing home and there was a Flu epidemic which forced workers to wear masks if they did not receive the Flu shot. I am not sure if this is the same in school systems or not. I liked the style of your blog! Super down to the point and great videos! Something that I found interesting was that people who have egg allergies should not get the Flu shot. I wonder why that is? Overall, you did a great job with your blog!

2. Hi Courtney,

I enjoyed reading your post about flu vaccines. This is a topic that is very relevant to my life as I have a close relative that cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons. I also know a family that refuses to be vaccinated for personal reasons. As a healthcare professional it is imperative to be respectful of each persons choice, while considerately informing them of the facts. Often times I hear people cite studies that don’t actually exist as their reason not to receive a vaccine. Your post portrays the facts about the flu vaccination is a very succinct format.

I liked how you included videos to further develop the audiences knowledge on the topic. As far a formatting goes, using one size font for headings and one size font for the body of the text would be beneficial. It looks like you have used two different heading sizes throughout. Another thing to keep in mind is ensuring your headings are bigger than your text. The content in bullet points is bigger than the heading it is under. I like that you included your references. I’m not sure if you used a different style, however, in APA the first line is indented and the rest as flush. You have this switched.

Overall, the information presented was good. I wish that the video emphasized the statistic that annually an estimated 36,000 Americans die from the flu. It is clearly an important topic to educate the general public on. Well done.

3. Thank you for putting me at ease Courtney. I am required to get a flu shot every year or wear a mask. In the back of my mind, I have worried about getting the flu from the shot but I know the benefits out weigh the risks. Thank you for the informative video disassembling the myths. Your blog was well organized and easy to follow. Nice job and thanks again!

4. Courtney,

I loved the lay out of your blog! It was so easy to follow and understand from the general audience. I am happy to read your blog because I know there are so many rumors out there about the flu shot. I now feel so much better about getting the flu shot, come flu season!