Who is at Risk for Lung Cancer?

Lung cancer is the most common cancer in the world. One out of every 5 deaths in the United States is linked to cigarette smoking. Some people think they are not at risk for developing lung cancer if they have never smoked, however, this is not true. While cigarette smoke is the number one risk factor for developing lung cancer, non smokers are also at risk. 

Cigarette smoking also increases your risk for developing:

• heart disease
  • heart attack
  • emphysema
  • stroke
  • death from copd
  • blood clots
  • infertility
  • peripheral vascular disease
  • abdominal aortic aneurysm
  • low birth weight, miscarriage, pre term delivery
  • still birth, infant death, and SIDS
  • low bone density, gum disease, immune system dysfunction, sexual impotence in men, and increased risk for hip fracture in women.

Smoking also directly affects the heart by causing inflammation and can affect the heart’s rhythm.  Smoking’s main effect on the heart leads to artery blockage and results in reduced oxygen supply. This increases the effort of the heart to beat normally. Toxins found in tobacco cause increased clotting in the blood which increases the risk of developing blood clots. Nicotine is the addictive ingredient found in tobacco smoke. Nicotine affects the nerves that control heart rhythm and can cause irregular heart beats. Smoking increases the risk for heart failure as well as the risk for heart attacks by almost three-fold compared to people that have never smoked. Smoking causes narrowing of the arteries and decreased blood supply to the heart and can lead to sudden death.

Exposure to Second Hand Smoke

Exposure to second hand smoke increases your risk of developing:

• lung cancer
  • coronary artery disease
  • lung disease
  • slow lung development
  • SIDS
  • asthma
  • ear infections in children
  • premature death

When you are around someone who smokes, you are breathing in the same chemicals and toxins that the smoker breathes in. Second hand smoke is also linked to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, breast cancer, nasal sinus cancer in adults, and leukemia, lymphoma, and brain tumors in children. No one is risk free when exposed to second hand smoke.

Lung Cancer Risk in Never-smokers

• 25% of lung cancers are not caused by direct smoking
  • 15-35% of lung cancer is caused by exposure to second hand smoke

While lung cancer has the highest incident of mortality in the world, people believe they are not at risk for developing lung cancer if they do not directly smoke cigarettes.

References

Clément-Duchêne, C., & Wakelee, H. (2010). Lung Cancer Incidence in Never Smokers. European Journal Of Clinical & Medical Oncology2(2), 49-57.

Cope, G. (2013). The effect of smoking on the cardiovascular system. British Journal Of Cardiac Nursing8(4), 174-178 5p.

Crane-Godreau, M. A., & Payne, P. (2013). A history of second hand smoke exposure: are we asking the right questions?. Frontiers In Physiology, 1-2. doi:10.3389/fphys.2013.00025

2 thoughts on “Who is at Risk for Lung Cancer?

1. SamanthaN

Hey Kim,
    I really enjoyed your blog post! I loved the visuals that you used. They kept me interested in what I was reading and looking at. The picture of the non smoke lungs vs. Rollup cigarette smokers lungs was a great example of the real effects of smoking and the harm it can cause to a persons body. I like how you listed all of the medical complications that you are at an increased risk for when you smoke cigarettes. All of those medical complications are very serious and can even lead to death. I had no idea that 15-35% of lung cancer is caused by exposure to second hand smoke! I also had no idea that lung cancer is the most common cancer in the world. These are some crazy facts that I was completely unaware of until reading your blog. Did you run into any difficulties when creating this blog? Did you find it hard to put everything into Layman’s terms? Overall I think you created a nice blog that was easy to understand and I found it to be very informative.

2. KimberlyN

Hi Kim,
    Boy there is alot of nasty things that go along with smoking! I cannot even believe with the cost of cigarettes that there are still many people who smoke! I have worked with so many patients that have had lung issues and watched them suffer sadly. I keep hoping that less and less people will continue the habit! Nice work informing all the details!