Plant-Based Lifestyle, A Revolution?

I know what you’re thinking.

Here we go again. Another fad diet that isn’t going to help me lose any weight or change my body. This is just something else for someone to sell to me that doesn’t actually work. It cannot possibly be sustainable to not eat meat or eggs or dairy. What was it my mother used to tell me growing up? “Eat all your meat and vegetables so you can grow up big and strong. You need your protein and vitamins.” Or how about my daughter’s pediatrician? “How many servings of dairy is she getting a day? She needs her calcium so it should be at least two to three.”

But what if everything I was ever told was wrong? What if, in reality, I could not only survive, but thrive? What if this is the healthiest I have every been in my adult life? There’s a reason this was titled “lifestyle” and not “diet”. No one is counting calories. No one is measuring every portion on the plate. And most of all, the term diet is something temporary, whereas a lifestyle is a change in habit or perspective.

But all you eat is salad.

Wrong. On so many levels. Salad is not the only thing you can eat. As a matter of fact, the idea behind a plant-based diet, but more specifically a whole-food plant based diet, is that you are eating food that is grown. This includes legumes, nuts, fruits, vegetables, and grains. It would blow your mind how many recipes can be found with just these ingredients. (Literally, Pinterest is a gold mine.) If you think I don’t still eat pizza or tacos, you’ve lost your mind. The difference is, I use healthier, whole-food ingredients.

“Isn’t that just vegan?” Well, yes, it is. The major difference is when using the term vegan, you are referring to no longer consuming animal products, usually for humane reasons. That, however, does not necessarily indicate consuming healthy foods. Twizzlers, Oreos, and various non-dairy ice creams, chips, and candy are still vegan. The term plant-based is used to define a lifestyle where the majority of foods consumed are generally whole-food plants. (Basically meaning not processed, because let’s face it, nothing that is processed in a factory somewhere is healthy… EVER.)

But why eat plant based? What are the benefits? If it’s so good for you, why does no one talk about it? Why would I do that instead of just cutting carbs or doing keto like I always do? It works every time! Listen below to Dr. Michael Greger talk about the research of plant based diets, compared with these other diets, and the health benefits that come from eating plant based.

It’s really that easy?

Yes, it is that simple. As Dr. Greger explains, we could be reversing effects of diabetes, heart disease, and obesity by simply changing what we put in our mouths. Without the effects of calorie restrictions, removal of carbohydrates that fuel our body, or strictly measured portions. There is true, real, evidence-based research that explains the lasting effects of a whole food plant based diet. (Take a minute to scan the QR code Dr. Greger provides and read the article.) The diet not only assisted them in losing weight, it helped in the maintenance of weight loss. Weight loss is also only the beginning. It has positive effects on patients suffering from cancer, diabetes, and heart disease; among the top five killers in the United States. In my own research I was able to find articles that supported evidence of lower body mass index, improved vessel function and therefore healthier hearts, improved diabetic markers, anti-aging and anti-inflammatory responses, and anti-oxidants that decrease the risk of cancer.

But do I believe that? Is it really true? Could some articles and doctors talking about plant based diet really be all it takes? For me, it was. What was the worst that could happen if I cut out meat, eggs, and dairy? Would I miss something? Am I really that attached to food? Why could I cut out carbs but not meat? Won’t I be deficient in protein? How about my nutrients or vitamins?

In the interest of maintaining attention, I have already scoured YouTube and am posting some of the shortest informational videos you can find. Take a minute to watch this video that debunks some common myths about switching to a plant based diet.

If you’re looking for more evidence, or to have other beliefs debunked, spend some time on YouTube and type the words “plant based diet” into the search bar. There are thousands, maybe even millions of videos of doctors speaking about plant based diets, most of which are 45mins to multiple hours. Several of them are posted to Ted Talks. Others have found other forums, such as the several books and documentaries out now. To name a few, The Game Changers, What the Health, and Forks over Knives. 

This is only the beginning.

Plant based diets are becoming more popular. With the growing interest and population, several sources can be utilized for obtaining information regarding the plan, as well as recipe sources. To name a few:

• Instagram is like a treasure map. You follow one or two vegan/plant based pages or athletes, and suddenly more ads or suggested pages pop up with additional content. By clicking the icon on the bottom right of the picture or video, you can save the post to your archive. I save several yummy recipes this way.
  • Facebook is pretty much the same. You can find popular vegan restaurants near you, and often find groups. There is a Facebook group “Rhode Island Vegans” where several people share recipes and favorite places to eat or order food.
  • Pinterest. I mean, what can’t you find on there? From searching for vegan thanksgiving to vegan meal prep, it’s a never ending source of information.
  • Traditional outlets such as google and cookbooks. One of my favorites is “Plant Based on a Budget” which offers extremely inexpensive meal ideas, all while eating healthy, non-processed foods.
  • In the world of technology: apps. There are several apps available to you on your phone or tablet. Some are even put out by the documentaries mentioned above, such as Forks Over Knives. There are both recipe and meal planning apps available.

If you don’t feel like looking recipes up yourself, watch this last video for recommendations of how to throw together some meals without having any recipe knowledge. Here are a bunch of doctors and dietitians and how they eat plant based daily.

I am the living proof.

I’m not just sitting here preaching all of this healthy lifestyle nonsense to you without having tried it myself. I am a testimony to the research that’s been done. At eleven months of plant based eating, I am down 80lbs and 5 pant sizes smaller. Even bigger than that, I can see the inflammatory effects of eating a traditional diet. How you ask? Even when I weighed 15lbs less than I currently do, I was still 2 sizes bigger. Never in my adult life have I been healthier or felt better. My mood is better. My rest is better. My depression and anxiety are better. My skin is better. The data that scientifically proves how this diet can affect your body is out there if you have the drive to look for it. But if you don’t, I’m it, and here are the pictures to prove it.

6 thoughts on “Plant-Based Lifestyle, A Revolution?

1. BeatriceG

This post is focused on a topic that many people can relate to, which is a diet. Personally, I have tried to change my diet a few times, but it is so difficult when you are so caught up in your old eating habits. This blog has provided me with a new way of thinking about a plant-based diet. It articulated the negative opinion that people might have regarding plant-based diets such as “all you eat is salad” and provided us with optimistic points of view, such as the concept behind a plant-based diet based on consuming foods that are grown. I really appreciate the fact that you have included your own experience and by doing so, have drawn the audience’s attention even more. This blog has also inspired the audience to pursue a plant-based diet if they are interested in making a lifestyle change. Great post !

2. 001383605

Hello! I really enjoyed your blog about plant based lifestyles. I have never been a big person on diets, I have horrible self control and LOVE sweets. Recently I have been paying more attention to what I put in my body and how my body reacts. I have a lot of digestive issues that I have always just assumed was anxiety, stress and IBS. I currently have an appointment to work with a dietician in a few weeks and this blog has opened my eyes and got me thinking even more about what I am eating and how it can affect all aspects of my life. I really liked that you added your story into this. You haven’t even been doing it that long and its fantastic the results as well as how you are feeling! Thank you for sharing your journey. This has been a very interesting read and has me thinking a little more about a lifestyle change as well!

3. 008009508

I loved this post!!! Thank you for all the information, and truly appreciated your living proof section of the blog. I am not on a plant-based diet, but I also maintain a healthy eating lifestyle and do not consume dairy, pork, or beef. In fact, I was a vegetarian for a very long time, and my dad was a vegetarian his entire life until his recent passing. Growing up I always remember people would question my parents how they allowed me as a young girl to be a vegetarian. People would say things to my parents like she needs proteins as they would refer to meat to grow. With my dad being vegetarian, my mom was super knowledgeable and always shut the naysayers down. She would explain that I did not eat meat out of pure dislike, not for health or religious reasons, and that one does not need to eat meat to consume proteins, as you mentioned. She would educate then that she provided me proteins through other sources such as beans, nuts, grains, and tofu. I will honestly say that I do now eat chicken and eggs, and sometimes question myself why I ever went back to eating any meat as I felt the most healthy while being a vegetarian. keep up the great work with your lifestyle!!!!

4. 008003044

I really enjoyed reading your post! It was personal and thoughtful and well researched. Thank you for sharing your story and spreading this helpful information!

5. 005505741

Wow, great job on your accomplishment of achieving a healthier lifestyle. I enjoyed reading your blog. I found it very informative, especially with my recent interest in converting to a vegan lifestyle. I found that your blog provides readability ease, with proper font size and text. While also grabbing the audience’s attention and providing factual medical information.
    Additionally, you provided the reader with education on terminology and unfamiliar knowledge. The blog also provides the reader with a safe haven by engaging with the reader through shared personal experiences. Through your testimonial, you immediately engage and gain the reader’s trust. Lastly, the blog’s design appeals to the eye and easy to access and navigate without distractions. Simultaneously, using appropriate videos and images to keep the reader engaged while gaining further knowledge. Due to the accurate medical information and readability ease, I would recommend the blog to friends and family members to gain further insight into a plant-based lifestyle.

6. 008010448

This a well written article with a positive tone and actual literature to substantiate the claims made. Being of Indian descent, we have a diet that is heavily based on vegetables and spices. Traditionally, Indian cuisine is strictly vegetarian but through centuries, meat and dairy have been introduced. That said, I don’t believe any Indian dish requires meat to processed food to complete it. And if there’s one thing I can boast about, its most of the dishes are delicious and feel very wholesome while eating them. Its an interesting thing where you can thoroughly enjoy your meal without feeling guilty about the contents or impact on your daily health. By default, we have several lengthy holiday periods where we must remain on a vegetarian diet for several weeks at a time. I once continued for an entire month and I lost almost 14 lbs. That was without exercise and I never felt as if I was missing something. I will admit however that I do eat meat and I really do enjoy a good lamb chop or dry aged porterhouse steak. Frankly I don’t think there are many foods that can compare to that type of robust flavor. So for now, I’ll remain on a predominantly vegetarian diet while consuming limited amounts of meat and dairy. If one day should come where a mock-steak is created that outdoes a chop from a steakhouse, I’d find myself in a bit predicament, but I’d say that the outcome would be for the better. After all, its not the animal that meat eaters crave, its the flavor. I’m a huge proponent of the vegetarian diet and again, I can say that there are huge benefits after experiencing them first hand.