Managing Osteoarthritis with a Whole Food Plant Based Diet

Is Osteoarthritis limiting your participation with activities you love? Functional discomfort? Do you find yourself taking Tylenol, Motrin, Advil or Corticosteroid injections to manage Osteoarthritis?

Individuals living with OA can reduce joint inflammation while improving physical functioning by following a Whole Foods Plant Based Diet.  Let’s take a closer look, exploring a nonmedicinal method to coping with OA.

What is Osteoarthritis?       

Well, scientists suggest osteoarthritis (OA) is a joint disease. It Is a form of chronic arthritis that is illustrated by degenerative changes in the articular cartilage, the cushion between our bones. Osteoarthritis is sometimes referenced as the “wear and tear” arthritis. The progressive destruction of the articular cartilage leads to fibrillation, abrasion, and shearing of the joints. Articular cartilage does not regenerate on its own.

Osteoarthritis tends to affect the weight bearing joints such as hands, knees, hips, lower back and neck.  The Center for Disease Control and Prevention has found that the number of people suffering from knee pain disorder is gradually rising, with approximately 1 in 2 people likely to develop symptomatic knee OA in their lifetime leading to significant impact on health, workplace productivity and economic costs.

Osteo – WHO?

Osteoarthritis affects over 32.5 million US adults. OA is predominantly detected in individuals aged 50 and older, it tends to affect women more than men. But don’t be fooled! Osteoarthritis can happen at any age. Here are some other factors that may trigger OA:

• Joint Injury or Overuse – continual trauma or surgery to joint structures or repetitive use of worn joints over years can inflame the joints.
  • Age – OA risks increase with age.
  • Obesity – additional weight puts stress on the joints, especially the knees.
  • Genetics – OA may develop in several members in a family, implying a hereditary basis.

OH the PAIN!

Osteoarthritis is unique to the joints and does not affect other organs of the body, unlike other forms of arthritis. Symptoms of OA develop overtime, they typically include:

• Pain or aching of the joints with or without physical activity.
  • Swelling
  • Joint stiffness mostly occurring upon waking up or after resting for a period of time.
  • Clicking or cracking sound is heard when the joints bend.
  • Joint instability / Muscle weakness – knees may buckle.

What’s a Whole Foods – Plant Based Diet?

In a study published in 2015 in the journal Arthritis, researchers investigated the effect of a whole-food, plant-based (WFPB) diet on osteoarthritis. It discovered individuals eating a whole-food, plant-based diet significantly decreased their osteoarthritis pain—in just two weeks. By the end of the six-week study, they reported more energy and better physical functioning, too.

A Whole-food, plant-based diet steers away from products that contain animal fat. This diet focuses on whole plant foods comprised of omega-6 to omega-3 fats, fruits, vegetables, legumes, and grains.

Here is a checklist of foods which are included in the Whole-Food, Plant-Based Diet:

Osteoarthritis can be mediated through a healthy diet.  The effects involve reduced inflammation and the promotion of healthy body weight. Overweight and obese individuals are over twice as likely to develop osteoarthritis by comparison to individuals of normal weight.  The studies indicate that even minimal weight loss can significantly reduce that risk also. And because plant-based diets are associated with both lower body weight and weight loss, this makes them potent tools in the management and prevention of osteoarthritis.

References: 

• Clinton, C. M., O’Brien, S., Law, J., Renier, C. M., & Wendt, M. R. (2015). Whole-Foods, Plant-Based Diet Alleviates the Symptoms of Osteoarthritis. Arthritis, 2015, 1–9. https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/708152
  • Hoffmeister, Ellen Whole-Food, Plant-Based Diet May Alleviate Osteoarthritis Symptoms, Lippincott’s Bone and Joint Newsletter: July/August 2015 – Volume 21 – Issue 7 – p 73-77
    doi: 10.1097/01.BONEJ.0000469142.83530.d2
  • Osteoarthritis. (n.d.). Arthritis Foundation. https://www.arthritis.org/diseases/osteoarthritis
  • NIAMS Health Information on Osteoarthritis. (2020, February 26). National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. https://www.niams.nih.gov/health-topics/osteoarthritis
  • YouTube. (2020, February 24). [Video]. Osteoarthritis: Diet and Nutrition. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRBddXSZ1QM&feature=youtu.be

8 thoughts on “Managing Osteoarthritis with a Whole Food Plant Based Diet

1. 008009241

I’ve been a advocate for plant based diets for a while. Its amazing what the benefits of eating these types of nutrients can do for you. I appreciate this post so much and the effects that eating this way can have on osteoarthritis . Inflammation is such a common factor in many diseases and so many aren’t aware of how much our diet can effect this.

1. 008003044

Hi,

Great blog post! It was easy to read and informative. I am also an advocate of PBD and have seen great effects myself. I’m excited to share this information with my patients as well if they are interested. Thank you for your research and writing!

2. 008010232

This was very interesting to read. I didn’t know a plant based diet help with OA. I know OA is a very uncomfortable condition and can lead to much pain while doing nothing, so if this is a possible treatment for preventing the symptoms of OA and reducing having to take medications, it sounds like it could be very beneficial in the long run. The fact that this disease affects weight bearing joints makes it a lot worse to deal with. Along with a Whole food plant based diet helping with OA, I have read it is a good diet for individuals overall trying to become healthy in general and it is a good source of healthy fuel for the body.

3. 008007694

Hello! I very much enjoyed reading your blog. I learned a great deal about how something as simple as a change in diet can so greatly affect the symptoms and pain associated with osteoarthritis! It was great to be able to see all the reliable information out there regarding a whole food, plant based diet and the positive affects it can have on OA. Thank you for your work!

4. 008008641

Hi,

This was a very informative and relatively easy blog to read through. It was nice to learn more about osteoarthritis as well as how a plant-based diet can decrease the pain related symptoms associated with OA. I can see you used reliable sources and relevant media to support the information provided in your blog. As far as feedback goes, I would include the average cost of a plant-based diet. Can a plant-based diet be easily attained by individuals in a lower socioeconomic status? Other than that, I found all of the information interesting and I also like that you mentioned how a plant-based diet could replace overused pain killers.
    Overall great read!

Thank you!

5. 008010428

Hello,
    This was really interesting to read. It was really informative, I did not know that plant based diets help with people who have OA. Changing diet can go long ways when it comes to OA. Overall, I really enjoyed your post. Great Work!

6. 001227846

Hello,
    I can personally relate to this post in a variety of ways. I actually wrote my entire blog on whole food plant based diet, and the other health benefits it can have. It was really interesting to see someone else highlight another way in which it can have lasting, positive effects. I also spent time working as an orthopedic OR nurse, so having seen how many people get joint replacements due to OA, it was nice to see others are educated on a WFPB diet and its benefits. I personally have been doing this diet for almost a year, and it’s so much easier to transition than it sounds. Great read!

7. 008009193

I personally have not considered plant-based up until a year ago. I have unfortunately not been the best at keeping to it however I love all of the insight your blog has given in regards to the health benefits related to life-long effects such as improving osteoarthritis and joint pain. My father has been a prime example of the need for a plant-based diet because of his lower back joint pain. I have looked more into it but find it hard to stick to after so many years of eating meat and dairy. Great blog and I believe some of the highlights on health benefits a person can receive from an all plant-based diet may help me to follow through with making the change.