My Adderall is Not Working…

Tick-tok and twitter have both been trending when it comes to the adderall shortage. Many social media users claim that they are not getting their adderall or that the adderall they are being given does not work the same as it usually does, some even claim that they are being given placebo pills instead of adderall. There is one tick-toker that has spoken about the issue more frequently than others, her name is “Dani Berube on Tiktok.” Berube states that the name of her adderall prescription has changed to something else (she does not state the new prescription name) and she states that whatever they gave her is not working as she is unable to focus as finds herself sleeping more which her adderall would not do. 

@daniberube_

This is concerning.. I was FINE on my last script.. #fyp #adhd #adderalshortage #adderaltiktok #adhdmeds #adderaltok #adhdtok #adhdinwomen

♬ original sound – DANI BERUBE

What is really going on?

“News Nation” stats that the now more than ever people are consuming adderall “In 2017 there was 32.2 million adderall prescriptions in the united states, in 2021 there was a total of 41.1 million prescriptions out for adderall in the US” (Adderall Shortage Continues, Some Say Medication Not Working, 2023). This high number of prescriptions is what is currently causing for there to be such a shortage, the demand for adderall has increased and the production of adderall had been capped by the FDA based off of numbers of consumption of previous years (Adderall Shortage Continues, Some Say Medication Not Working) Now more than ever people are being diagnosed with ADHD and being prescribed adderall, “between the years of 2018-2022 the amount of prescriptions for the age group of 22-44 years old has increased to 58%” (Adderall Shortage Continues, Some Say Medication Not Working). Another possible outcome may be that some consumers are being given slow acting prescription doses of adderall to help curve the shortage, this may explain why so many users are feeling sluggish and tired (Adderall Shortage Continues, Some Say Medication Not Working).

So the Adderall Shortage is Real, Now What? The Difference Between Generic and Brand Name Prescriptions. 

While there are many people that agree that this is going on, other sources claim that while there is a shortage of adderall the ingredients are not being changed and that the names on the prescription might just be the generic (non brand name) of the medication. In an article published by the New York Times they cover this topic and point out some other important factors that should be considered when talking about this topic.

Other Factors

The first factor that should be considered is that many people may be experiencing “Tolerance Build up”, some children and teenagers who take Adderall may build up tolerance to the medication over time as they grow into adults and eventually require higher doses (Blum, 2023). The times article also covers on the fact that there is minimal difference in the name brand of adderall but it is not different enough that the patient would be able to feel the difference, This means that, theoretically, obtaining a generic form of Adderall from a different manufacturer could alter how you feel while on the medication. However, the differences between generics are so small that an overwhelming majority of patients wouldn’t feel any change from their previous medication. “It’s not supposed to have drastic differences,” Dr. Dube said. (Blum, 2023). 

Social Media is Great but….

The New York Time article ended like this “People who keep hearing that Adderall doesn’t work anymore may become inherently more skeptical about their medications.

Through online platforms, particularly TikTok, patients with A.D.H.D. have connected with one another over the last few years, Dr. Stutzman said, finding comfort and solidarity. While that has helped many people via support and resources, she said, medical misinformation can also spread through these channels. “I do wonder how much of it is suggestibility — wanting community around a diagnosis,” she said. (Blum, 2023) The truth of the matter is that while social media is a great resource it should never replace your primary care doctor who knows your health better than anyone else.  

References:

“Adderall Shortage Continues, Some Say Medication Not Working | Morning in America.” YouTube, YouTube, 16 Mar. 2023, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-IFxRw0Ygc. 

Blum, Dani. “People with A.D.H.D. Claim Adderall Is ‘different’ Now. What’s Going On?” The New York Times, 9 Mar. 2023, www.nytimes.com/2023/03/09/well/live/adhd-adderall-shortage.html?register=email&auth=register-email. 

“Dani Berube on Tiktok.” TikTok, https://www.tiktok.com/@daniberube_/video/7197924962076724526?lang=en. 

3 thoughts on “My Adderall is Not Working…

1. 008011751

Hello!
    I really enjoyed your blog post! In the mental health world, and specifically on tiktok, we see so much about medication distribution and even ADHD being undiagnosed. I think it is so great for these platforms to be here that allow people to share information and debunk some stigma, however I can see the point in sometimes it altering how people view their diagnosis. Tolerance buildup is a scary idea, because the it is never a healthy or safe idea to just continue to up a dose, I think the media needs to do a better job of portraying other, more holistic, ways to combat this diagnosis. I truly think tools and resources should be more widespread, because yes, medication is helpful, but it doesn’t need to be the only and most immediate option available.
    Well done!
    -Victoria

2. 001359118

Hi there,
    Great job with your post! I liked how you took information spread on social media and provided background information as to why it is either real or fake. The influence of social media is very strong so it’s no surprise that viewers are starting to believe what they hear. In the last paragraph you included an important statement – following up with your primary care provider rather than what you hear or see online. Many people see things on line and don’t take all details into considering. As you said, people build up tolerances and may not be disclosing that or any other background information when making statements such as medications no longer working. This is an important thing to include at the end of any medical blog – take the information but always run it by your primary care provider. Good work!

3. 008005324

Hi there!

I liked reading your post about Adderall and the shortage that is currently taking place. I like how you incorporated the social media role on these topics. As with many, social media plays a major role in medical miscommunication and misinformation. These “stories” tend to spread faster than factual information. I like how you incorporated pictures and bold font in your headlines. This helped to keep the attention of the reader. I felt as though all of the information that was presented was backed by resources that were credible. Awesome job!