Managing Gestational Diabetes with Lifestyle and Dietary Modifications

Gestational Diabetes
Can it really be managed with diet and exercise?

Through media, television and word of mouth from families, friends, coworkers and more, many moms may have false information on what gestational diabetes actually is and what it will look like. Any atypical diagnosis in pregnancy can cause increased stress for a mom. It is important for moms to have current and accurate information to better help prevent and manage gestational diabetes as well as secondary outcomes

What Is Gestational Diabetes?

• Also known as GDM
  • A form of high blood sugar that usually resolves after delivery
  • Body makes too little insulin during pregnancy

How will elevated blood sugars affect my baby and I?

For Me

• Increased risk of GDM with future pregnancies
  • Increased risk of developing diabetes
  • Increased risk of elevated blood pressure
  • Increased risk of delivery complications requiring c-section

For My Baby

• Preterm birth
  • Larger birth weight, complicating delivery
  • Low blood sugar at birth
  • Difficulty breathing at birth
  • Increased risk of developing diabetes 

Fact or Fiction?

• My mom had gestational diabetes so I will too: Fiction!
    • Having family members with GDM can put you at an increased risk for development but it is not a guarantee 
  • I have gestational diabetes, I have to cut back on sweets: Fact!
    • You do not need to eliminate sweets completely but it is recommended to limit intake to keep blood sugars within normal limits
  • I have GDM, I have to have insulin now: Fiction!
    • Not all moms with GDM require insulin. Most GDM pregnancies can be managed with monitoring sugar levels and adjusting diets. Exercise also helps to regular blood sugar levels
  • I have GDM, I will have to poke myself every day: Fact!
    • GDM is monitored by checking your blood sugar 4 times daily. The instrument, called a lancet, has a tiny needle that pokes the top layer of the skin on your finger. It causes minimal discomfort and only omits a few small drops of blood.
  • I had GDM with my previous pregnancy so I will have it this time too: Fiction!
    • GDM in previous pregnancies put you at an increase risk but it is not guarantee. Diet, exercise and starting weight play a large role in GDM.
  • I will be able to feel that I have GDM: yes and no!
    • Elevated blood sugars may cause you to feel more thirsty, sleepy or hungry. You may notice you need to urinate more often or cuts aren’t healing as fast. You may also notice your vision changes. These are all side effects of elevated blood sugars and typically resolve once levels are managed 

Prevention

Many women may believe GDM is inevitable if themselves or family members have had it in the past but this is not the case. Diet and exercise play a large role in preventing gestational diabetes, primary care providers, women’s health providers as well as nutritionists and fitness providers can all help you achieve better lifestyle goals

• Maintain a healthy lifestyle
  • Eat healthy foods
  • High fiber, low fat, low calorie foods
  • Increased fruits, vegetables and whole grains
  • Limits sweets 
  • Avoid sedentary lifestyle
  • Regular exercise, try to aim for 30  minutes of exercise most days
  • Maintain a healthy weight
  • Avoid smoking
  • Avoid alcohol

Management

GDM is manageable, small choices can lead to big results. Take these steps to better manage your blood sugar levels and aid in maintaining a healthy lifestyle 

• Check blood sugars regularly during pregnancy – 4 times daily. Let provider know of elevated readings.
  • Stay to a meal schedule, eat around the same time every day
  • 3 meals and an AM and PM snack
  • Breakfast is important – one starch and a protein to help balance hormone and blood sugar levels
  • Choose water or 1 cup of milk over juice or soda
  • Avoid sweets or added sugars
  • Decrease but do not cut carbs as they help to regulate blood sugar levels
  •  Maintain healthy weight during pregnancy and gain wait only as recommended – do not aim to loose weight
  • Exercise daily, 30 minutes or as tolerated
  • Short walks after meals will help decreased blood sugar levels naturally
  • Take a vitamin D supplement or get plenty of sunshine
  • Consider a magnesium supplement or increase magnesium rich foods (leafy greens, nuts, seeds)

Diet for Gestational Diabetes by Verywell

Follow-up Care

After delivery all moms will have a follow up blood glucose test done. GDM puts moms at an increased risk of developing diabetes but with increased exercise, smart food choices and living a healthy lifestyle, this risk greatly decreases. 

Media, television and friendly conversations are all easy/accessible ways to get information but they aren’t always the most accurate. Healthcare providers have the most up-to-date information available and your team has your individual history and needs in mind. Keep your providers updated and ask questions when you are confused or unsure. Doctors, nurses and supportive staff will be with you every step of the way from diagnosis, management and follow-up gestational diabetes care!

References

Björk Javanshiri, A., Calling, S., & Modig, S. (2023). Follow-up and screening for type-2 diabetes mellitus in women with previous gestational diabetes in primary care. Scandinavian Journal of Primary Health Care, 41(1), 98–103. https://doi-org.ezproxy.neit.edu/10.1080/02813432.2023.2182632 

Brady, V., & Goering, L. (2022). Gestational diabetes. American Nurse Today, 17(9), 8–11.  https://web-s-ebscohost-com.ezproxy.neit.edu/ehost/pdfviewer/pdfviewer?vid=10&sid=4998aa2d-a639-48c8-bbfe-bade7d14a30f%40redis

Igwesi-Chidobe, C. N., Okechi, P. C., Emmanuel, G. N., & Ozumba, B. C. (2022). Community-based non-pharmacological interventions for pregnant women with gestational diabetes mellitus: a systematic review. BMC Women’s Health, 22(1), 1–37. https://doi-org.ezproxy.neit.edu/10.1186/s12905-022-02038-9 

Ren, X., Jin, J., Chen, Y., & Jin, J. (2022). Research on the Effect of Nursing Methods for Gestational Diabetes Mellitus Based on Comprehensive Nursing Intervention. Computational & Mathematical Methods in Medicine, 1–10. https://doi-org.ezproxy.neit.edu/10.1155/2022/2396658 

5 thoughts on “Managing Gestational Diabetes with Lifestyle and Dietary Modifications

1. JillianS

Hi!
    I really enjoyed reading your blog. I think you have done a great job adding a good amount of media pieces within the reading in order to keep the reader engaged while not being too overpowering. I also think it was very easy to read and think that moms of all ages and backgrounds would be able to effectively read this blog and come away with a sufficient understanding. I also like that you put the risks for both the mother and the child to offer further information for the mom on how this could be affecting their unborn child. Nice work!

2. HeatherW

I really liked your blog as a mom who never had to deal with gestational diabetes it is interesting to learn what others may have to go through. It is amazing to see how the body changes during pregnancy and how it can affect both mom and baby. Your post was very informative and eye catching!

3. 008002017

Hi!

Great blog with just the right amount of information needed on this topic. The bullet points make it easy to follow and understand the content. I have had a few friends who have developed gestational diabetic and it is in fact very scary to handle, I have seen these friends get very frustrated due to having a more restricted diet on top of having morning sickness and other pregnancy related symptoms.

Great work!

4. 008019736

Hello,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this blog! Prior to this blog post I truly did not have knowledge about the effects or treatment on gestational diabetes. You managed to incorporate great information about gestational diabetes without it coming across as overwhelming due to breaking the information down. The visuals also were great at catching the readers eye and keeping the audience interest. I liked the layout of the information as well, it was easy to follow and gain knowledge on what gestational diabetes is. Thank you for sharing this I have learned a lot from this blog post, great work!

5. 001237870

Hi,

I thought your blog was very well laid out! I am not a mom but hope to be one in the future, so it is nice to read information I may need. I enjoy blogs that utilize bullet points and have information broken into smaller pieces, so this was perfect. The visuals you added not only were interesting but added to the information you presented. I thought the format you used was easy to understand and had a nice flow to it. I learned about the effects gestational diabetes can have not only on mom but her baby as well, along with a good diet to follow. This would be a great blog for someone who is at risk for GD or who has the diagnosis. Nice job!