Are E-Cigarettes the Problem or the Solution?

It is no secret that cigarettes are bad for your health. In fact, it is nearly impossible to get through the day without encountering some form of advertisement that detests the use of cigarettes for a variety of reasons. So, if we know cigarettes can cause cancer, COPD, heart disease, and what seems to be a million other problems, why do people continue to smoke? Of course, it’s because nicotine is highly addictive! However, seven out of ten individuals who report regular consumption of nicotine products report that they would like to quit if they could. But, wait… You’ve heard of people quitting cigarettes, right? Aunts and uncles, friends, maybe even your coworkers– So, what is the secret to quitting?

One of the newest products on the market is advertised to provide just what smokers need to quit smoking. What is it you ask? electronic cigarettes!

E-cigarettes: Marketing - TobaccoTactics

As you can see, companies are letting the public believe that electronic cigarettes are the answer to their nicotine addiction

Untitled Document

Even celebrities are proclaiming their happiness and relief that electronic cigarettes are bringing into their lives.

However, There is Always a Catch…

If we were to step back in time and analyze the early stages of cigarette marketing, there is a strikingly similar theme.

Amazon.com: 1952 Lucky Strike Cigarettes Ad "Luckies Taste Better": Posters  & Prints

A magazine from 1952 promotes the use of popular new brand of cigarettes. This advertisement made Lucky Strikes a must have!

1949 CHESTERFIELD Cigarettes- LUCILLE BALL- Star in " I love Lucy"- VINTAGE  AD | eBayAnother popular advertisement dated back to 1949 displays Lucille Ball and how she adores her favorite brand of cigarettes.

Is anyone else experiencing déjà vu?

For a moment, think about how the timeline of cigarette usage has occurred. First cigarettes were glamorized in the eye of the public through various forms of advertisement. Currently, cigarettes are shamed by the public because of their harmful and even life threatening effects.

Now I want you to explore the current stance on electronic cigarettes. Everyone uses them and they are supposedly far ‘better’ than traditional cigarettes. While it’s too early to know what the long term effects of E-cigarettes may be, we can still predict that history will repeat itself.

What Does Evidence Suggest?

1. Electronic Cigarettes are Still not Safe.

E-Cigarettes are found to contain the same harmful ingredients that regular cigarettes have. When people first started purchasing and using cigarettes, they had no real understanding of what was packed into them. Now, we are experiencing the same situation with electronic cigarettes. Studies identify that adults that smoke Electronic Cigarettes still increase your likelihood of developing symptoms associated with various respiratory disorders including asthma and COPD.

2. Electronic Cigarettes are Just as Addictive!

Not only is the primary ingredient in all forms of electronic cigarettes nicotine, there is a much higher concentration of this addictive substance within each cartridge. E-cigarettes are also more convenient for smokers to use because they cease to create a long lasting cloud of smoke or any strong odors. While this is appealing to smokers, it’s also frightening to think that nicotine consumption will increase because people can smoke anywhere, at any time.

3. Our Youth is Being Exposed to E-Cigarettes.

E-cigarettes have become a new trend for teenagers and young adults. Studies have suggested that teenagers with an extremely low or no risk at all for developing a smoking addictions have become addicted to e-cigarettes. Marketers have clearly picked up on their new targeted audience and have introduced flavors like watermelon, apple, and even fruit punch to appeal to younger users. Clearly, these products are creating counterproductive results.

Are you Trying to Quit?

If you were planning on quitting smoking with the use of electronic cigarettes, don’t panic! There are tons of other options! First, consult with your doctor for advice to see what may work best for your health. It’s also a great idea to talk with friends and family to develop a plan that will help support you during this journey.

If you’re looking for some simple strategies that have worked for other people, take a look at this inspiring video.

What Can we Learn from This?

If you haven’t already made the connection, now is the time to acknowledge that we should always question and research what we are consuming. It is clear that products can be marketed  as healthy when they are actually harming us. Take the first step and stop using nicotine products!

References

Bircan, E., Bezirhan, U., Porter, A., Fagan, P., & Orloff, M. S. (2021). Electronic cigarette use and its association with asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and asthma-COPD overlap syndrome among never cigarette smokers. Tobacco Induced Diseases, 19, 1–9. https://doi.org/10.18332/tid/132833M.

Blaha, M., (2021) 5 vaping facts you need to know. John Hopkins Medicine. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/5-truths-you-need-to-know-about-vaping

R., N. A., T. M., T. A. M., M. N., N. ’Ayn, M. R., D., A. B., M. F., R., S., A. R., Z., M. S., N., & H., J. (2021). Knowledge, attitude and practice on electronic cigarette and their associated factors among undergraduate students in a public university. IIUM Medical Journal Malaysia, 20(2), 43–51. https://doi.org/10.31436/imjm.v20i2.1883

Wang, R. J., Bhadriraju, S., & Glantz, S. A. (2021). E-cigarette use and adult cigarette smoking cessation: A meta-analysis. American Journal of Public Health, 111(2), 230–246. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2020.305999

7 Ways to get past nicotine cravings. (2017). YouTube. https://youtu.be/kJasaMlgzNs.

3 thoughts on “Are E-Cigarettes the Problem or the Solution?

1. 008004651

I really enjoyed this blog, I liked the visuals and how they were used. It was helpful to see those old ads to compare to how things are being advertised. I also learned that the cartridges for E- cigarettes have higher concentrate than normal cigarettes, I though that they had the same amount or even lower because after-all they’re supposed to be for quitting nicotine.

2. 008002752

I loved this blog and felt that it was extremely educational. As someone who doesn’t know much about e-cigarettes, I had no idea the risks that came with it. I did know that it was just as bad for you and that it is being targeted towards younger adults/teenagers. I’m thankful for this post and hope to educate a few people I know that currently use e-cigarettes. I loved your visuals and the way your format and design is laid out. I think you did an incredible job with this post!

3. 008007592

Prior to reading your post I was listening to a podcast on a lawsuit going on against the company JUL (e-cigarettes) for what was believed to have worse ingredients than the old-fashioned cigarettes, causing major health issues in a man in such a short span of time. After reading the information you shared, I’m disheartened to know they have a targeted the younger generation. Our children are much to vulnerable. I also enjoyed how you followed it up on how someone may seek alternative ways to addressing a cigarette addiction rather then just telling us why it’s bad. Great post.